2nd Class City
in the Kodiak Island Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (ack' ee awk); includes Kaguyak (kuh guy'uck)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Akhiok is located at the southern end of Kodiak Island at Alitak Bay. It lies 80 miles southwest of the City of Kodiak and 340 miles southwest of Anchorage.
- The climate of the Kodiak Islands is dominated by a strong marine influence. There is little or no freezing weather, moderate precipitation, and frequent cloud cover and fog. Severe storms are common from December through February. Annual precipitation is 35 inches. Temperatures remain within a narrow range, from 25 to 54 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The original village of Kashukugniut was occupied by Russians in the early 19th century. The community was originally a sea otter hunting settlement, located at Humpy Cove. The name Akhiok was reported in the 1880 Census. In 1881, residents relocated to the present site at Alitak Bay. The community's Russian Orthodox church, Protection of the Theotokos Chapel, was built around 1900 at the site of an earlier structure. A post office was established in 1933. Residents of nearby Kaguyak relocated to Akhiok after the 1964 earthquake and tsunami destroyed their village. The city was incorporated in 1972.
- Akhiok is an Alutiiq village dependent upon fishing and subsistence activities.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Akhiok
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewer, Electric, Refuse Collection, Landfill, Health Clinic, Dock, Fuel Sales, Library, Airport, Post Office, State Funded Public Safety Officer (VPSO)
- Akhiok is accessible by water or air only. The State of Alaska maintains a runway south of town. No crosswind runway or tower services exist and flights are often limited due to severe weather. There is also a floatplane harbor available. Akhiok does not have a deep water dock or boat harbor and no regular barge service is available. One company transports cargo via landing craft as needed. Alitak cannery possesses full docking facilities and residents are able to obtain supplies at the cannery store when the facility is operating. Otherwise, freight is most often moved by small personal craft from off-shore freight vessels or by air.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District
- Incorporation Type
- 2nd Class City