in the Aleutians East Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Aleutian Islands
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Nelson Lagoon is located on the northern coast of the Alaska Peninsula, on a narrow sand spit that separates the lagoon from the Bering Sea. It is 580 miles southwest of Anchorage.
- Nelson Lagoon lies in the maritime climate zone. Frequent and dramatic weather changes occur, with a constant prevailing wind of 20 to 25 mph. Temperatures average 25 to 50 °F, with a range from -15 to 75 °F. Annual snowfall averages 56 inches, with a total precipitation of 33 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Nelson Lagoon has been used historically as an Unangan summer fish camp. The resources of the lagoon and nearby Bear River are excellent. The lagoon was named in 1882 for Edward William Nelson of the U.S. Signal Corps, an explorer in the Yukon Delta region between 1877 and 1920. A salmon saltery operated from 1906 to 1917, which attracted Scandinavian fishermen, but there has been no cannery since. In 1965 a school was built, and the community began to be occupied year-round.
- The culture is focused on commercial fishing and subsistence activities. There is a strong community pride and loyalty among the residents, with a desire to maintain their lifestyle with slow, monitored growth and development that can be managed by the residents.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Nelson Lagoon
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Nelson Lagoon is accessible only by air and sea. A state-owned gravel runway serves regularly-scheduled flights. It has a dock, boat ramp, harbormaster's office, and warehouse. Some freight is landed at the Peter Pan Seafoods dock, 30 miles away at Port Moller.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District