2nd Class City
in the Southeast Fairbanks Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Delta Junction is located at the convergence of the Richardson and Alaska Highways, approximately 95 miles southeast of Fairbanks. The city developed along the east bank of the Delta River, south of its junction with the Tanana River. It offers spectacular views of the Alaska Range.
- This area of Interior Alaska experiences seasonal extremes. The average low temperature in January is -11 °F. The average high during July is 69 °F. Recorded temperature extremes range from a low of -63 °F to a high of 92 °F. Average annual liquid equivalent precipitation is 12 inches, with an average annual snowfall of 37 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Tanana Athabascan Indians occupied this site throughout most of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The peak of the Alaska gold rush was between 1898 and 1903. In 1899, the army sent parties to investigate the Susitna, Matanuska, and Copper River valleys to find the best route for a trail north from Valdez through the Copper River Valley. By 1901, the army had completed the Trans-Alaska Military Road, which extended from Valdez to Eagle. In 1902, gold was discovered in the Tanana Valley, and, shortly after, a spur trail was created from Gulkana on the Valdez-Eagle route to the new mining camp in Fairbanks. This trail became the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail. The Sullivan Roadhouse was built in 1905 by John and Florence Sullivan on a part of the Valdez-Fairbanks Trail known as the Donnelly-Washburn Cut-Off. This section of the trail was considered by many to be too steep, so the Alaska Road Commission built a new road which was four miles from the Sullivan Roadhouse. The Sullivans tore the roadhouse apart and rebuilt it alongside the new road. Ongoing mining activity just north of Delta Junction in the Tenderfoot area and the Chisana Gold Strike of 1913 brought many prospectors and other travelers through the area. The Delta Junction area became known as Buffalo Center for the American bison that were transplanted here from the National Bison Range in Montana in the 1928. In 1942, construction of the Alaska Highway began, and Fort Greely military base was completed 5 miles to the south. In 1946, a dairy farm was established; beef cattle were brought in during 1953 by homesteaders. Delta Junction was incorporated as a second-class city in 1960. Construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline between 1974 and 1977 brought a dramatic upswing to the population and economy. In August 1978, the state initiated Delta Agricultural Project I, a 60,000-acre demonstration agricultural project. Twenty-two parcels, averaging 2,700 acres in size were sold by lottery.
- Delta Junction is strategically located to provide services to summer tourist traffic. The visitor's center is located in the 'Triangle,' where the Alaska Highway meets the Richardson Highway. The community also has an elementary school, middle school, high school (with track and football field), career advancement center, outdoor skating rink, unheated skating facility, city park with ball fields, and some bike paths.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Landfill, Airstrip, Public Works Building, Fire Station, Volunteer Fire & Ambulance, Library, Community Center/Senior Lounge, Park, Cemetery, Skating Rinks
- Delta Junction is accessible by the Alaska and Richardson Highways. Buses provide transportation to Fairbanks and Whitehorse. The city offers a 2,500' long by 60' wide gravel airstrip with a 1,600' long by 60' wide dirt crosswind strip. Charter flight services are available. There are five other privately-owned airstrips in the vicinity. Plans are underway for joint use of the Allen Airfield on Fort Greely. Snowmobiles are used for recreation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District