in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- includes Sunshine
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- Susitna North (formerly Y) is the developed area between Willow and Talkeetna, on the George Parks Highway. The George Parks Highway and Talkeetna Spur Road form what is locally known as the "Talkeetna Y" at milepost 98.7. Susitna North includes Montana Creek and Sunshine.
- January temperatures range from -40 to 51 °F; July can range from 26 to 90 °F. Annual precipitation ranges from 14 to 29 inches, with 48 to 70 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Ahtna-speaking Athabascans lived in the Talkeetna Mountains and had a village opposite the mouth of Sunshine Creek called "Tsuk Qayeh," meaning "Old Village." Dena'ina-speaking Athabascans lived along the Deshka River and the middle Susitna River in the winter, below present-day Talkeetna. A Dena'ina village was located on the North Fork of the Kashwitna River, with a trail to Chickaloon. Montana Creek became a small Dena'ina village in about 1915 during railroad construction. Through 1927, the railroad brought employment and settlement to the area. Montana, at mile 209.3, was one of the first construction camps. In 1918 a spur was constructed to a coal mine in the area. Sunshine Depot, at mile 215.3, was established in 1918 but was moved to higher ground in 1936. Construction of the George Parks Highway and state land disposals led to settlement of the area.
- The local community council advocates for area residents' concerns. Only half of the more than 800 homes in this area are occupied. The population is relatively diverse.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The community is accessible from the George Parks Highway. The Talkeetna airstrip is located nearby. A variety of transportation means are available in Wasilla, Palmer, and Anchorage.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District