2nd Class City
in the Wade Hampton Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (noo' nam ick' wa); formerly Sheldon Point
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Nunam Iqua is on a south fork of the Yukon River, about 9 miles south of Alakanuk and 18 miles southwest of Emmonak on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. It lies 500 miles northwest of Anchorage.
- The climate is maritime, averaging 60 inches of snowfall and 18 inches of precipitation per year. Temperatures range from -25 to 78 °F. Heavy winds in the fall and winter often limit accessibility. The Bering Sea is ice-free from mid-June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Nunam Iqua was historically the location of summer fish camps, due to its location near the Black River. In Yup'ik, the name means "end of the tundra." A man called Sheldon owned and operated a fish saltery at the site in the late 30s and early 40s. The saltery was later operated by Northern Commercial Company. The village was first measured in 1950 by the U.S. Census, which recorded a population of 43 residents. The City of Sheldon Point was formed in 1974. In November 1999, residents voted to change the city name to the City of Nunam Iqua.
- Commercial fishing and subsistence activities are the means of support in this Yup'ik Eskimo village.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Nunam Iqua
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Watering Point, Water and Sewar, Washeteria, Landfill, City Complex, Post Office, Equipment Rental, Electric Company, City Fuel Sales, Store
- Nunam Iqua has easy access by boat and barge. It has a state-owned and operated gravel airstrip. Float planes can land at Kwemeluk Pass. In the winter, snow machines serve as the primary mode of inter-village transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District