in the Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (nick' oh lyvsk)
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Nikolaevsk is located on the Kenai Peninsula, inland near Anchor Point. It lies on a road leading from North Fork Road and the Sterling Highway. It was named to honor St. Nicholas, the patron saint of the town's church.
- Winter temperatures range from 14 to 27 °F; summer temperatures vary from 45 to 65 °F. Average annual precipitation is 24 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Nikolaevsk is the location of a settlement of "Russian Old Believers," whose ancestors settled in Woodburn, Oregon, after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 forced them out of Russia. The first Old Believer settlers on the Kenai Peninsula received a grant from the Tolstoy Foundation in New York and purchased land there in 1967. The first school opened in an 8-by-20-foot trailer in 1972. Until 1980, students attended classes through the ninth grade, then began their adult lives; many students now go on to complete their education. As growth occurred during the 1980s and 1990s, additional settlements developed in the area.
- The community includes Russian Orthodox, Russian Old Believers (Old Right Believers), and some non-Russians, living in three distinct settlements. The Old Believers in this area lead a family-oriented, self-sufficient lifestyle. They use modern utilities and food sources are from gardening, small livestock, fishing, and hunting. Families are typically very large (8 to 12 children). Traditional clothing is worn, Russian is the first language, and the church dictates that males do not shave. Residents typically marry at a young age.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The nearby Sterling Highway provides access to Anchorage. Homer offers an airport, harbor/docking facilities, and a state ferry landing.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District