in the Kodiak Island Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Aleneva is located on the southern coast of Afognak Island, north of Kodiak Island. It is on the coast of Raspberry Strait, across from Little Raspberry Island.
- The Kodiak Archipelago is warmed by the Japanese current. The climate is similar to Southeast Alaska, with less precipitation. January temperatures range from 14 to 46 °f Fahrenheit. July temperatures range from 39 to 76 °F. Average annual rainfall is 74 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The Census of 1890 noted a series of settlements along the beach, including Rutkovsky village, a group of retired employees of the Russian American Company. A post office was maintained intermittently from 1888 to 1958. The Good Friday Earthquake of 1964 generated a tsunami, which destroyed the village. A new community was constructed on the northeast coast of Kodiak Island, called Port Lions, and the residents of Afognak moved there permanently in December 1964. Aleneva is currently a settlement of "Russian Old Believers," whose ancestors settled in Woodburn, Oregon, after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 forced them out of Russia. The first Old Believer settlers in Alaska received a grant from the Tolstoy Foundation in New York and purchased land on the Kenai Peninsula in 1967. Russian Old Believers have established various other settlements in Alaska, including Aleneva.
- The Old Believers in this area lead a family-oriented and self-sufficient lifestyle. They use modern utilities and engage in subsistence activities. Families are typically very large. Traditional clothing is worn, and Russian is the first language.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- There are no roads to Aleneva. Transportation is provided by float plane or boat from Kodiak.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District