in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Big Lake is a community on the shore of Big Lake, 13 miles southwest of Wasilla, in the Chugach Mountains. It lies adjacent to Houston and Knik-Fairview.
- January temperatures range from -33 to 33 °F. July temperatures can vary from 42 to 83 °F. Precipitation averages 14 inches of rain and 48 inches of snow per year.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Early inhabitants were the Athabascan Dena'ina Natives. Around 1899, the Boston and Klondike Company made the first sled trail north into the Talkeetna Mountains from Knik via Big Lake. Homesteaders in 1929 and after World War II settled Big Lake. Materials were transported from Pittman Railroad Station over eleven miles of rough trail. By 1959, a number of lodges and several children's camps were operating on the lake, and at least 300 cottages and camps were owned by individuals. Lake-front lots became accessible in the 1960s and 1970s, with the expansion of roads and power. In June 1996, the "Miller's Reach" wildfire destroyed more than 37,500 acres in the Big Lake and Houston area, including 433 buildings and homes valued at $8.9 million. Low housing costs, the semi-rural lifestyle, and a 45-minute commute to Anchorage have supported growth in the Mat-Su Valley.
- Boating and fishing are extremely popular on the lake during the summer months. High school students attend Houston Middle and High Schools.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Big Lake Road is accessible from mile 52 of the George Parks Highway. A state-owned gravel airstrip and float plane dock are available. Several boat launches and a marina support recreational watercraft.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District