2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (nuh pass' kee ack)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Napaskiak is located on the east bank of the Kuskokwim River, along the Napaskiak Slough, 7 miles southeast of Bethel.
- Napaskiak is strongly influenced by storms and patterns in the Bering Sea and also by inland continental weather. Average annual precipitation is 16 inches, with 50 inches of snowfall. Summer temperatures range from 42 to 62 °F, and winter temperatures average -2 to 19 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area has historically been occupied by Yup'ik Eskimos. Napaskiak was first reported by the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey in 1867. The 1880 U.S. Census reported a population of 196. By 1890, the population had dropped to 97 and was as low as 67 in 1939. The city was incorporated in 1971.
- Napaskiak is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo village dependent upon fishing and subsistence activities.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Napaskiak
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Electric, Water/Sewer Flush/Haul System, Refuse Collection, Landfill, Health Clinic, Volunteer Fire
- A state-owned gravel airstrip and seaplane landing area west of the village provide charter and general aviation access year-round. Many residents have fishing boats, and skiffs are used in the summer for subsistence fishing and travel to Bethel and other nearby villages. Snow machines and ATVs are used in winter. Barges deliver goods during the summer months. In winter months the river is used as an ice road for travel to surrounding villages. A winter trail is marked to along the River to Bethel.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District