in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (eye' van off)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Aleutian Islands
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Ivanof Bay is located on the northeast end of the Kupreanof Peninsula, 500 miles southwest of Anchorage and 250 miles southeast of Dillingham.
- Ivanof Bay has a maritime climate characterized by cool summers, warm winters, and rainy weather. Average summer temperatures range from 39 to 60 °F; winter temperatures range from 21 to 50 °F. Precipitation averages 125 inches per year,with 58 inches of snow.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The bay was named by Lt. Dall of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1880. A salmon cannery operated at this site from the 1930s to the early 1950s. A post office operated from 1952 to 1954. Several families moved from Perryville to Ivanof Bay in 1965 in search of better water sources and hunting grounds and to pursue a peaceful lifestyle with religious freedom. The school closed in the 2000-2001 year, due to insufficient enrollment.
- Ivanof Bay has traditional Alutiiq influences and practices a subsistence lifestyle. In summer, most residents leave the community to live and fish near Chignik.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Ivanof Bay Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Ivanof Bay is accessible via air or water, and there is no overland connection. A private gravel airstrip, owned by Bay View, Inc., is present in the community, and float planes can land on Ivanof Bay. There are no scheduled commercial flights to Ivanof Bay; the community is only accessible by charter flights. The nearest port with barge service is Chignik Bay. No public dock or harbor is available in Ivanof Bay. Local residents use ATVs and skiffs as primary modes of transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District