Ketchikan Gateway Borough
2nd Class Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- The Ketchikan Gateway Borough is located near the southernmost boundary of Alaska, in the Southeast Panhandle. It is comprised of the Cities of Ketchikan and Saxman.
- The area lies in the maritime climate zone noted for its warm winters, cool summers, and heavy precipitation. Average summer temperatures range from 46 to 59 °F; winter temperatures range from 29 to 48 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Tongass and Cape Fox Tlingits have lived in the area historically. The abundant fish and timber resources have attracted non-Natives to Ketchikan.
- The majority of Tlingits indigenous to the area live in Saxman.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Water, Sewer, Sewage Treatment Facility, Airport, EMS, Fire & Fire Halls, Parks & Recreation, Swimming Pool, Schools, Animal Control, Planning, Economic Development, Child Care, Roads, Transit
- Regularly-scheduled jet services offer three northbound and three southbound departures daily. The state-owned Ketchikan International Airport offers a paved, lighted 7,500' runway. The airport lies on Gravina Island, a 10-minute ferry ride to the waterfront. Ketchikan is a regional transportation hub, with numerous air taxi services to surrounding communities. There are four float plane landing facilities. Ketchikan is the first port of call in Alaska for cruise ships and Alaska Marine Highway vessels. Harbor and docking facilities include five small boat harbors, a deep draft dock, a dry dock and ship repair yard, and a state ferry terminal. The shipyard is privately-owned and is used for repairs to the Alaska ferry and offshore fish processors. The Inter-Island Ferry Authority, based on Craig, operates a daily, round-trip ferry between Ketchikan and Hollis.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection