in the Hoonah-Angoon Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCRA Approved Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Elfin Cove lies on the northern shore of Chichagof Island, approximately 33 miles west of Hoonah and 70 miles by air and 85 miles by boat west of Juneau. The community is only accessible by small seaplane or boat.
- The area's maritime climate is characterized by cool summers and mild winters. Summer temperatures range from 52 to 63; °F winter temperatures range from 26 to 39 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- This protected, flask-shaped harbor was originally called "Gunkhole" by fishermen anchoring here. Its safe anchorage and proximity to the Fairweather fishing grounds made this a natural spot for fish buyers and supplies. Ernie Swanson built a store, restaurant, and dock here in the 1920s. His wife Ruth applied for a post office in 1935 and gave it the new name of Elfin Cove. John Lowell, another fish buyer, arrived in the 1940s and built a second dock, warehouse, store, and restaurant. According to locals, the Tlingits who visited the harbor would not stay over winter because of the "evil spirits" there.
- Elfin Cove is a fishing community. Due to declining enrollment, the school was closed in the 1998-99 school year, and students must be home-schooled.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- A state-owned seaplane base is available. Moorage for 25 marine vessels is available. Skiffs are the primary means of local transportation. The state ferry lands at nearby Pelican. Freight arrives by plane or boat.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District