2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (noo nuh' pit chook); a.k.a. Akolmiut
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Nunapitchuk is located on both banks of the Johnson River, 22 miles northwest of Bethel in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
- Each year, the area averages 16 inches of precipitation and 50 inches of snowfall. Summer temperatures range from 42 to 62 °F; winter temperatures run from -2 to 19 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- It is an Eskimo village first listed in the 1939 U.S. Census with a population of 121. The community was incorporated as a second-class city in 1969. During the 1970 U.S. Census, Nunapitchuk and the nearby villages of Atmautluak and Kasigluk were enumerated as "Akolmiut."
- Nunapitchuk is a Yup'ik Eskimo village, and residents are involved in commercial fishing and subsistence activities.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Nunapitchuk
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Water and Sewer Flush/Haul, Watering Point, Honeybucket Haul, Washeteria, Electric (AVEC), Refuse Collection, Landfill, Health Clinic Building, Police, State-funded Public Safety Officer (VPSO), Volunteer Fire, Roads, Ice Roads, Planning, Parks & Recreation, City Gaming Department, City Land Department, ATV Rental.
- A state-owned gravel airstrip provides chartered or private air access year-round. A dock, small boat harbor, and seaplane landing area are available on the Johnson River. Snow machines, ATVs, and dog sleds are used in winter months. Winter trails exist to Atmautluak (7 mi) and Akula Heights (2.5 mi).
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District