2nd Class City
in the Wade Hampton Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Scammon Bay is on the south bank of the Kun River, one mile from the Bering Sea. It lies to the north of the 2,300-foot Askinuk Mountains on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
- The area's climate is maritime. Temperatures range between -25 and 79 °F. Annual precipitation averages 14 inches, with 65 inches of snowfall. Severe easterly winds during the fall and winter limit accessibility. The Bering Sea is ice-free from mid-June through October.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- It was known in Eskimo as "Mariak," and its residents were called "Mariagamiut." The nearby bay was named after Capt. Charles Scammon, who served as the marine chief of the Western Union Telegraph Expedition from 1856 to 67. The name came into use when the Scammon Bay Post Office was established in 1951. The city government was incorporated in 1967.
- Scammon Bay is a Yup'ik Eskimo community that relies on fishing and subsistence activities. Most residents travel 50 miles to the north to the Black River each summer for fish camp.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Scammon Bay
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water and Sewer, Electric (AVEC), Landfill, Dock, Health Clinic, Police, Volunteer Fire,Gym, Roads Building Rental, Equipment Rental
- Scammon Bay is accessible by air and water. A state-owned 3,000' long by 75' wide gravel airstrip and city-owned seaplane base on the Kun River serve air traffic. Barges bring in bulk supplies each summer. Winter trails exist to Hooper Bay (32 mi) and Chevak (25 mi). Snowmachines and skiffs are the primary means of local transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District