1st Class City
in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (klaw wock'); alt. Klawak
- Community's Judicial District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Klawock is located on the west coast of Prince of Wales Island, on Klawock Inlet, across from Klawock Island. It is 7 miles road north of Craig, 24 road miles from Hollis, and 56 air miles west of Ketchikan.
- Prince of Wales Island is dominated by a cool, moist, maritime climate. Summer temperatures range from 49 to 63 °F; winter temperatures range from 32 to 42 °F. Average annual precipitation is 120 inches, with 40 inches of snow.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Early inhabitants were from Tuxekan, a Tlingit winter village to the north. Klawock was used as a summer fishing camp and has been known as Klawerak, Tlevak, Clevak, and Klawak. The history of Klawock is closely tied to the fishing industry. A trading post and salmon saltery were established in 1868, and the first cannery in Alaska was built in Klawock by a San Francisco firm in 1878. The subsequent canneries that sprouted in the area were operated under contract with Chinese laborers. A hatchery for red salmon operated at Klawock Lake between 1897 and 1917. In 1929, Klawock incorporated as a city, and a school was constructed. In 1934, Klawock received federal funds under the Wheeler Howard Act to develop a local cannery, on the condition that residents vote to be liquor-free. In 1971, the Alaska Timber Corporation built a sawmill. Soon after, the Klawock-Heenya Village Corporation, the Shaan Seet Corporation of Craig, and Sealaska Timber Corporation expanded area facilities with a log-sort yard outside of Klawock and a deep-water dock on Klawock Island. The state constructed a salmon hatchery on Klawock Lake in 1978, very near the former hatchery site.
- Klawock is a mixed Tlingit and non-Native city. The island has been greatly influenced by logging operations. Most residents pursue a subsistence lifestyle to provide food sources. The community takes great pride in its Totem Park, which displays 21 restored totem poles and replicas from the old village. The Totem Park includes a heritage center and long house.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Klawock Cooperative Association
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale by municipality operated license only: Package Store Only
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewar, Refuse Collection, Landfill, Harbor/Port, Police, Volunteer Fire Department, Schools, Boys and Girls Club
- Klawock is dependent on air transportation from Ketchikan, although it is connected to other communities through the island road system. The only airstrip on Prince of Wales Island is located here, with a paved runway. A seaplane base is operated by the state on the Klawock River. Ferry transportation is available to Hollis, 23 miles away. Klawock has a small boat harbor and boat launch ramp. A deep draft dock is located at Klawock Island, which is primarily used for loading timber. Freight arrives by cargo plane, barge, and truck.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District