in the Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
Geography and Climate
- Funny River is located on the Kenai Peninsula, approximately 15 miles east of Soldotna along the Kenai River, from River mile 29 to 45.
- Average winter temperatures range from 4 to 22 °F; summer temperatures average from 46 to 65 °F. Average annual precipitation is 20 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Funny River is the local name of a nearby stream, first published in 1904 by the U.S. Geological Survey. Homesteading and farming expanded to the Funny River area during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Funny River Road originated as a bulldozed trail from Soldotna to the homesteads. A paved road now connects Funny River with Soldotna.
- The community is primarily non-Native; however, a large portion of the land in this area is owned by Alaska Native corporations.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Soldotna and Kenai airports serve local air traffic. The Sterling Highway provides access to Anchorage and other destinations.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District