2nd Class City
in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- Nondalton is located on the west shore of Six Mile Lake, between Lake Clark and Iliamna Lake, 190 miles southwest of Anchorage.
- Nondalton lies in the transitional climatic zone. Average summer temperatures range from 42 to 62 °F; winter temperatures average 6 to 30 °F. The record high is 91 °F, and the record low is -47 °F. Annual average rainfall is 26 inches, with 64 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Nondalton is a Tanaina Indian name first recorded in 1909 by the U.S. Geological Survey. The village was originally located on the north shore of Six Mile Lake, but in 1940 growing mudflats and wood depletion in the surrounding area caused the village to move to its present location on the west shore. The post office, established in 1938, relocated with the villagers. Nondalton formed an incorporated city government in 1971.
- It is a Tanaina Indian (Athabascan and Iliamna) village with a fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Nondalton Village
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale of alcohol is banned.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewar, Landfill, Health Clinic, Volunteer Fire, Airport (State Contract), Roads, Apartment Rentals
- Nondalton is primarily accessible by air and water. A state-owned 2,800' long by 75' wide gravel runway services the community. Scheduled and charter air services are available. Bulk goods are received in Iliamna then taken by a cat-trail to Fish Camp, located across from Nondalton on the east side of the lake, where they are ferried by skiff or barge to the west side. There are no docking facilities.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District