2nd Class City
in the Bethel Census Area
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- The community is located on the north shore of Goodnews Bay at the mouth of Goodnews River. It is 116 air miles south of Bethel, 110 miles northwest of Dillingham, and 400 miles west of Anchorage.
- Goodnews Bay is located in a transitional climatic zone, exhibiting characteristics of both a marine and continental climate. Average annual precipitation is 22 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall. Summer temperatures range from 41 to 57 °F; winter temperatures average 6 to 24 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Yup'ik Eskimos called this village "Mumtraq." It was moved to its present location due to constant flooding and storms at the old site. Shortly thereafter, in the 1930s, a government school and post office were built. The city was incorporated in 1970. A high school was built in 1979.
- Goodnews Bay is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo village practicing a subsistence, trapping, and fishing lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Goodnews Bay
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Watering Point, Washeteria, Electric (AVEC), Landfill, Health Clinic, Community Building
- A state-owned 2,835' long by 80' wide gravel airstrip is available for chartered or private planes year-round. There are no docking facilities, although locals use boats and skiffs extensively during the summer months. Snowmachines are the primary means of travel during the winter. Winter trails are marked along the Coastal Trail (60.3 mi) and the Arolik Trail (60.1 mi). Barges deliver fuel and other supplies during the summer months.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District