in the Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
Geography and Climate
- The community is located at the southern end of the Kenai Peninsula on the shore of Port Graham. It is adjacent to Nanwalek, 7.5 miles southwest of Seldovia, and 28 air miles from Homer.
- Winter temperatures range from 14 to 27 °F; summer temperatures vary from 45 to 65 °F. Average annual precipitation is 24 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The earliest known settlers were Russians from the nearby trading post at Nanwalek. In 1850, the Russian-American Company established a coal mine at Port Graham, but it was not economical and lasted only a few years. Port Graham became the site of a cannery and wharf, according to the U.S. Geological Survey in 1909. In 1911, the Fidalgo Island Packing Company established a cannery, and Aleuts from Nanwalek moved to the community. A post office operated between 1938 and 1961. The cannery burned in 1960. It was rebuilt in 1968 by Whitney/Fidalgo and was sold to the village corporation in 1983. A pink salmon hatchery began operations in 1991. In January 1998, the hatchery and salmon processing plant were destroyed by fire. The hatchery and processing plant were rebuilt and re-opened in June 1999. The cannery continues to be the main economic activity in the community, employing residents of Nanwalek as well.
- Port Graham is a traditional Alutiiq village with a fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Port Graham
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Port Graham is not accessible by road. A state-owned 1,975' long by 45' wide dirt/gravel airstrip is available. The community offers docking facilities. There is a 4-mile trail to Nanwalek.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District