Unincorporated, located within Anchorage
in the Municipality of Anchorage
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- Population is counted as part of Anchorage.
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- Gallon of Heating Fuel
- Gallon of Gasoline
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Portage is a former setlement on the Turnagain Arm, about 47 miles south of Anchorage. It was a major stop on the Alaska Railroad. The town was destroyed in the earthquake on Good Friday, 1964.
- Portage is currently uninhabited.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- State Ferry
- Road Connection