As part of the Governor's $50 million Fisheries Revitalization
Strategy, the State of Alaska dedicated $2 million to support fisheries
industry business assistance programs.
Rural Development Initiative Fund
$1.5 million was appropriated to the
Rural Development Initiative Fund (RDIF) administered by the Division
for commercial fisheries related businesses. RDIF is an on-going revolving
loan program that focuses efforts on rural development projects. Loans
may be made for working capital, equipment, construction or other commercial
Marine Advisory Program
$500,000 was appropriated to MAP for technical assistance
to harvesters and small seafood businesses in coastal Alaska. Services
offered by MAP may include:
- Enhanced communication to industry on MAP programs and
- One-on-one technical assistance for entrepreneurs.
- Development and implementation of training courses throughout
the state, including peer training.
- Communicating widely and regularly among the intended
audience of fishermen, processors and interested small businesses
using print, web-based and other media.
- Seafood business kits for a host of appropriate topics.
- Fisheries source book for financing.
- Teaching/co-teaching classes with other human resource
agencies throughout Alaska.
- Assess the need for formal seafood business course work
within the University.
- Analysis for policy discussions.