WELCOME TO SERVE ALASKA!
Summer VISTA Hosting Opportunity
Greetings VISTA Sponsors -
We would like to announce an opportunity to host Summer VISTA members beginning as early as May 1st. Other than staff time, these positions are at no cost to you.
In FY 2012, VISTA Summer Associate placements should focus on programming in the following areas:
- Working with children in Title 1 eligible schools and/or building community-school partnerships in schools that are participating in the Department of Education’s Title 1 School Improvement Grants
- Education programming to prevent summer learning loss
- USDA Summer Feeding Program (can be in partnership with educational programming)*
- Programs to support Veterans and Military Families
NEW THIS YEAR!
To the extent possible, we ask you to encourage sponsors to recruit disadvantaged youth between the ages of 18 and 24 as Summer Associates. CNCS has pledged to provide opportunities for 4,000 disadvantaged youth this summer, and VISTA Summer Associates will be an important part of achieving this goal.
- Type of work must focus on education, veterans, or summer feeding program focused.
- Work may be direct and/or indirect service.
- Projects must be 8 or 10 weeks in length (56 – 70 days of service) and begin no earlier than May 1 and end no later than August 31.
- All Summer Associates must attend a sponsor-organized pre-service orientation prior to beginning service. The sponsor should hold a one-to-two-day PSO at or near the Summer Associates’ project site.
- A living allowance for the time served, which is equal to the amount received by full-year members serving in the same location.
- A $1,174.60 Eli Segal AmeriCorps Education Award from the National Service Trust or a $125/month summer stipend.
Basic eligibility criteria:
- Associates must be at least 18 years of age at the time of placement
- Associates must serve on a full-time basis during the project period
- Associates may not have outside employment during the project period
- Associates must not be listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry
- Health care
- Life insurance
- Child care allowances
- Relocation allowances
If you are interested in being a sponsor, please complete the attached Concept Paper and return it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 15. To make it worth the time and effort, I recommend that
you do not apply for less than 5 positions. The positions may be placed at partner sites but managed by your office.
This is a great way to get more people involved in service as well as engage students that may be looking for summer work! If you have any questions about this opportunity, please let me know!
Alaska-Washington State Director
Corporation for National & Community Service
915 2nd Avenue - suite 3190
Seattle, WA 98174
office phone: 206.607.2603
cell phone: 202.489.8902